From: "Makhno" <root@127.0.0.1>
Subject: Re: Ada memory management seems slow
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:39:43 +0100
Date: 2005-10-13T18:41:15+00:00	[thread overview]

> GNAT uses malloc and free from the C library  for memory management - so
> performace is the same as with C. Only with C nobody measures the
> performance - people just expect malloc and free to be as fast as
> possible.

I find this difficult to believe - I have experience of using free() in C,
and unless the lists are far bigger than I think they are, C is nowhere near
as slow as this.
Is there any way I can check precisely what Ada is using? The program is
calling something called FREE which is defined as some sort of deallocator
called Ada.Unchecked_Deallocation

>> I was wondering what options are available for memory management, or
>> whether I am inadvertently using a 'slow' mode.
>
> Well there is indeed a memory debug option - but its off by default.

I'm using gnatmake with -O3.