From: dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: How do I use the package characters?
Date: 1996/10/09
Date: 1996-10-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

John Herro said

"     I'm posting this before my earlier post appears in CLA, because I saw
Stephen's reply to Ben.  Yes, the package you mentioned is an Ada 95
package, and Ada 83 packages don't have children, hence no periods.
    But you can reference package ASCII in Ada 83, and the steps are a
little different, because ASCII is inside Standard, and you never have to
WITH Standard; it's automatically WITHed in every compilation.  You can
optionally write a USE clause for ASCII, but it goes in the declarative
region of your program.  For example, here are two ways to beep the
terminal in Ada 83:"

That's confused. The original question was about Ada.Characters.Handling
which is not related to Standard.Ascii.

Standard.Ascii provides a subset of the functionality of
Ada.Characters.Latin_1, but none of the functoinality
of Ada.Characters.Handling.