From: dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar)
Subject: Re: Reading sequential data from Ada.Text_Io.Standard_Input?
Date: 1996/07/09
Date: 1996-07-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

David asks how to read raw data from standard input. The answer is to
use Stream_IO, it's all setup for that.

You could also create an appropriate sequential_io descriptor, have a look
at package

package Ada.Sequential_IO.C_Streams is

in file s-siocst.ads, which permits opening a sequent file given a C
stream identifier (there are analogous packages for all the I/O packages
in GNAT).

You certainly cannot expect success following the line you were trying.
File types are completely different for different I/O packages, and here
there is no reason to think you could convert one to another. GNAT does
not "know what you want to do", as far as it is concerned you are trying
a totally junk type conversion from one type to a completely unrelated
type that makes no sense at all.