From: "Martin B. B." <MartinBBjerregaard@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Different aliasing rules for containers?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 05:47:02 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2020-02-20T05:47:02-08:00	[thread overview]

On Thursday, 20 February 2020 14:36:38 UTC+1, joak...@kth.se  wrote:
> Den torsdag 20 februari 2020 kl. 13:24:37 UTC+1 skrev Martin B. B.:
> > The following code:
> >
> > with Ada.Containers.Vectors;
> > with Ada.Text_IO;
> >
> > procedure Test is
> >
> >    package IO renames Ada.Text_IO;
> >
> >    type Obj is record
> >       Id : Integer;
> >    end record;
> >
> >    package Obj_Vectors is new Ada.Containers.Vectors
> >      (Index_Type   => Positive,
> >       Element_Type => Obj);
> >
> >    use type Obj_Vectors.Vector;
> >
> >    Objects : Obj_Vectors.Vector := Obj'(Id => 0) & Obj'(Id => 1) & Obj'(Id => 2);
> >
> > begin
> >    for O of Objects loop
> >       O.Id := 999;
> >    end loop;
> >
> >    for O of Objects loop
> >       IO.Put_Line (Integer'Image (O.Id));
> >    end loop;
> > end Test;
> >
> > Using GNAT Community 2019 (20190517-83) produces the following output:
> >  999
> >  999
> >  999
> >
> > When looking at the Ada.Containers.Vectors package specification, I see the following:
> >    type Vector is tagged private
> >    with
> >       Constant_Indexing => Constant_Reference,
> >       Variable_Indexing => Reference,
> >       Default_Iterator  => Iterate,
> >       Iterator_Element  => Element_Type;
> >
> > However, both the `Rerefence` and `Constant_Reference` functions takes aliased parameters:
> >    function Reference
> >      (Container : aliased in out Vector;
> >       Position  : Cursor) return Reference_Type;
> >
> > My question is then: How is the code above possible then, when my `Objects` vector is not aliased? Shouldn't the compiler complain that I haven't declared `Objects` as being aliased?
> >
> > Even creating my own procedure that takes a `V : aliased Obj_Vectors.Vector` still produces no aliasing errors when passing it a non-aliased vector.
> >
> > This code:
> > with Ada.Text_IO;
> >
> > procedure Test is
> >
> >    package IO renames Ada.Text_IO;
> >
> >    procedure Takes_Aliased_Integer (X : aliased Integer);
> >
> >    procedure Takes_Aliased_Integer (X : aliased Integer) is
> >    begin
> >       null;
> >    end Takes_Aliased_Integer;
> >
> >    My_Int : Integer := 123;
> >
> > begin
> >    Takes_Aliased_Integer (My_Int);
> > end Test;
> >
> > However, correctly(?) generates the following compiler error: "actual for aliased formal "X" must be aliased object".
> >
> > So, what exactly is going on here? Am I missing something?
>
> Hi Martin,
>
> Could it be because Obj_Vectors.Vector is a tagged type and is therefore always passed by reference in subprogram calls and that implies it is aliased?
>
> Best regards,
> Joakim

Ah, it seems you are correct! I was not aware of this difference between tagged and non-tagged types.

It seems to be what is mentioned here in the reference manual: "Finally, a formal parameter or generic formal object of a tagged type is defined to be aliased" (http://www.ada-auth.org/standards/rm12_w_tc1/html/RM-3-10.html#p9)

Thank you for the help :)