From: Phil <dr.kazino@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: gtkada working on a Ubuntu Machine.... ??&##?!!!!
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 15:30:16 GMT
Date: 2014-10-14T15:30:16+00:00	[thread overview]

On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 18:11:36 +0200, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> On Fri, 03 Oct 2014 15:06:38 GMT, Phil wrote:
>
>> I am wondering if someone can give me some pointers on the best way to
>> get gtkada properly installed.
>
> Depends on the Gtk version. Normally, you get the packages and install
> them. That's all.
>
>> On either windows or Ubuntu.
>
> For Windows the latest public GtkAda + Gtk is in the GNAT GPL 2014.
>
> Is Ubuntu a Debian clone? Then you install Debian's Gtk and GtkAda
> packages.

Ubuntu is based on debian.

> Make sure you are using same Gtk version on all platforms, because Gtk
> 2.x is incompatible with Gtk 3.x. [ GNAT GPL 2014 comes with Gtk 3.8. ]

Thanks for the tip, will be useful later.

> Check if the project refers to gtkada.gpr or the corresponding one of
> the installation. Antique versions used gtkada2.gpr, if I correctly
> remember. GCC 4.6 is pretty ancient for Debian. Should be 4.8 if not 4.9
> already.

I have started a new thread, with more information. Is the gtkada.gpr
still worth checking?

When I wrote software a long time ago, we never used gtkada style stuff.
It was an embedded system. Text based screen!
Thanks for your answers so far.