From: rtcoslet@rockwellcollins.com (R. Tim Coslet)
Subject: Re: How Can I Create A Class Dynamically
Date: 4 Oct 2001 10:06:10 -0700
Date: 2001-10-04T17:06:11+00:00	[thread overview]

lutz@iks-jena.de (Lutz Donnerhacke) wrote in message news:<slrn9ro8vr.4a.lutz@taranis.iks-jena.de>...
> * R. Tim Coslet wrote:
> >lutz@iks-jena.de (Lutz Donnerhacke) wrote in message news:<slrn9rgoo2.k8.lutz@taranis.iks-jena.de>...
> >
> >Have you looked at the package Ada.Streams.Stream_IO ?
> >
> >This package was designed specifically to allow input/output of tagged
> >types (the file is NOT a text file however).
>
> I wonder if Stream_IO is able to read instances of derivated types unknown
> at the compile time of the programm. I'd look at the Objective-* Code.

No, all types must have been defined at compile time or there is no
internal representation for the Stream representation and Stream_IO
will raise Constraint_Error.

If the types were not defined at compile time and Stream_IO accepted
them, the program would not know how to work with the objects... all
operators of a 'Class are defined at compile time.