From: "Vincent Smeets" <No@Spam.org>
Subject: Overloading one instance of a dispatching function
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 19:52:42 +0200
Date: 2002-09-26T19:52:42+02:00	[thread overview]

Hallo,

I am trying to make an implementation of the ABNF syntax defined in RFC2234.
It defines rules for parsing mail messages. Here are some examples:

    BIT  = "0" / "1"    ; Character "0" or character "1"
    CRLF = CR LF        ; Rule CR followed by rule LF
    X    = BIT / CRLF   ; Rule BIT or rule CRLF

I have added my source code so far. A rule is implemented as an tagged type,
a character rule as a Character_Set and an alternation of rules by a record
with class wide pointers.

The "or"-operation for two rules works OK, but I want to optimize the case
that the "or"-opration is used for two Character_Set's. This case can
produce a new Character_Set with the characters from both Character_Set's. I
have tryed to solve this problem by adding a function to the specification:

   function "or" (Left, Right : in Character_Set) return Character_Set;

This gives a problem at the place where I am using the "or"-operator. The
compiler can't resolve which "or"-operator has to be used because both
"or"-operators match by type. I would suspect (and hoped) that an exact type
(like Character_Set) had an higher precedance than a class wide type (like
Rule'Class), but it isn't. :-(

How can I solve this problem? I would like to optimize the "or" for two
Character_Set's but don't want to require that the user has to classify
which "or" he will use.

Thanks,
Vincent

PS: This is no homework. See news:ajrisv$lc9$03$1@news.t-online.com

with Ada.Finalization;
with Ada.Strings.Maps;
with Ada.Strings.Unbounded;

package ABNF is

   type Rule is abstract tagged private;

   type Alternative is abstract new Rule with private;
   function "or" (Left, Right : in Rule'Class) return Alternative'Class;

   type Character_Set is new Alternative with private;
   function "or" (Left, Right : in Character_Set) return Character_Set;

   function To_Rule (Item : in Character) return Character_Set;

   type Concatination is new Rule with private;
   function "and" (Left, Right : in Rule'Class) return Concatination;

private

   type Rule is abstract new Ada.Finalization.Controlled with null record;
   type Rule_Access is access Rule'Class;

   type Alternative is abstract new Rule with null record;

   type Alternative_Rule is new Alternative with
      record
         Left, Right : Rule_Access;
      end record;
   --  procedure Adjust (Item : in out Alternative_Rule);
   --  procedure Finalize (Item : in out Alternative_Rule);

   type Character_Set is new Alternative with
      record
         Set : Ada.Strings.Maps.Character_Set;
      end record;

   type Concatination is new Rule with
      record
         Left, Right : Rule_Access;
      end record;
   --  procedure Adjust (Item : in out Concatination);
   --  procedure Finalize (Item : in out Concatination);

end ABNF;

with ABNF;
pragma Elaborate_All (ABNF);

procedure Forward_PGP is