From: Ada BRL <ada.brl.2011@gmail.com>
Subject: Efficiency and overhead: Ada.Containers.Vectors.vector versus array type
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:19:06 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2012-01-21T10:19:06-08:00	[thread overview]

Hello everyone!

I need some hints about Ada.Containers.Vectors.vector efficiency.

I'm developing a multithreaded real time application in Ada.

I need a "collection" of objects (every object has a lot of records
like task objects, Gnat.Sockets and so on...);
This collection is accessed several times during the execution.
In the meantime I don't have to insert and delete any items during the
execution, I just need to instantiate N object when the application
starts and then the number of objects will remain the same throughout
the execution.

Since I know how many object will be inside the collection I thought
to use, as the collection I need, the "array standard type".
In the meanwhile the Ada.Containers.Vectors.vector object is far more
practical, simple and has even more interesting and useful functions
like iterators and so on.

For this reason, since I don't have any experience in Ada, I ask you
all what can you suggest me to use.
If there is no such difference in efficiency/overhead between array
types and Ada.Containers.Vectors.vector I'll definitely use the
latter.

Thank you so much!