From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam@spam.com>
Subject: Re: New to Ada, noticing something strange.
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:39:54 GMT
Date: 2005-09-29T18:39:54+00:00	[thread overview]

mike.martelli@gmail.com wrote:

> (I removed some extra white space so it would align better in the post)

You removed more than that.

> I have some Put()/Put_Line() statements in AddDigits() for debugging
> purposes.  The problem is in Convert2Character(), nothing was ever
> being returned by that function.  I added the Put_Line(strChar) to make
> sure a correct value was being passed to it.  Once I added that
> Put_Line() a value was being returned by the function and it was
> correct.  It seems that a Put_Line() is needed for some reason or it
> does not do what it is supposed to do.

You don't have anything named Convert2character, nor do you have Chardigit or
Carry declared anywhere, and you index a String by 1 without any reason to
expect that 1 is in its range, so it's hard to tell what might be happening. I'm
also not sure what you mean by nothing being returned; do you mean execution
entered the function and stopped? An exception is raised?

In any case, if the only change you made was to add a Put_Line, then it appears
you have a compiler bug. You didn't mention what compiler you're using, but you
might want to inform your compiler vendor.

--
Jeff Carter
"There's no messiah here. There's a mess all right, but no messiah."