Shark8 expounded in news:923f0664-890d-4ca9-9b34-2da64067b068@21g2000prv.googlegro ups.com: >> > I defiantly agree with the Hungarian notation. >> >> followed by >> >> The type declaration carrys the type information. It does >> NOT belong in the name (of the variable). �It creates a � >> maintenance nightmare also -- change the type and all >> instances of the name must be changed. � >> >> BLECH. > > Eh, my mistake, I meant to say "I defiantly agree with you > on the Hungarian notation." Ah, ok... you're forgiven. ;-) >> That is something different. A "file" is a perfectly >> generic container of information. Do you want to allow >> your software to decide the format? Or would you prefer >> the OS to do it instead? �Something must decide. > > Er, I think you misunderstand what I mean by "typed files" > very often "the software" does NOT & should NOT decide the > format; if that were the case then "the software" could say > "my HTML file writer doesn't need ending tags!" or "I don't > need to write the header for an .ICO file!" which misses > the whole point of having a specified standard. > > IOW, the type of a file, having some definition, SHOULD > ensure that the file has the correct layout... like Access > ensures that our "pointer" *IS* to a variable of the > specified type. I guess, I don't understand your point. The software creating the "content" is doing it in a format, which often varies record by record, even in binary (yours is a text example). > Just because everything copies the thinking neither means > that the thinking is correct or useful. (Though it doesn't > mean that it's wrong or useless either.) Agreed, but you have ask why this is "successful". Usually, there are good reasons for it. Then again, C/C++ is a bad counter example. ;-) Warren