Ludovic Brenta expounded in news:bce19c00-0599-4ff6-a5cf-16bb3d742373 @e7g2000yqf.googlegroups.com: > Warren wrote on comp.lang.ada: >> Imagine >> a CPU that somehow in microcode was able to do a fast-malloc >> of a stack frame (as part of a call), linking the new >> frame back to the calling frame. Then you could eliminate >> the need for a "linear virtual stack region" altogether. This >> would allow code to freely fork into many parallel >> threads without the issue of pre-allocating stack [address] >> space to each new thread. When the called procedure executed >> a "return", it would (in microcode) free the current stack >> frame and return to the prior one. �The "call" allocate/free's >> could be constrained to one general "stack heap". > > I wonder how that would work with processors that have register > windows specifically to reduce the need for a memory-based stack (i.e. > SPARC, IA64 and maybe others). > > -- > Ludovic Brenta. I'm not sure I follow, but objects like small buffers would presumably still occupy the current stack frame. Warren