From: <adaworks@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Why people wants to complicate code with Ada.Unchecked_Deallocation?
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:49:06 GMT
Date: 2006-07-27T15:49:06+00:00	[thread overview]

"Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.not.jrcarter@acm.not.spam.org> wrote in message
news:P7Rxg.1101345$xm3.664765@attbi_s21...

> It means that if a program won't run out of storage without unchecked
> deallocation, why bother putting it in? On the other hand, if a program will
> run out of storage without unchecked deallocation, it will fail unless you do
> deallocate storage, so you probably do want and need to put it in.

I usually agree with you Jeff.  In this case, we are in close agreement
except on one point.   Ada includes a storage-pool capability that
allows for a wide range of storage management policies.  I would
expect that to be a better option in situations where there is a concern
for dependable, predictbale storage management.

That being said, I also find it uncommon for Ada designers to understand
the storage-pool feature well enough to take advantage of it.  Perhaps
we need to put together a collection of storage pool management
examples demonstrating how this feature of the language can be
more effectively applied in a variety of circumstances.   This could
reduce the amount of unchecked operations on storage management.

I am now wondering what storage management policies are used for
the Charles libraries.   Unchecked-deallocation?

Richard Riehle