Search results ordered by [date|relevance]  view[summary|nested|Atom feed]
thread overview below | download mbox.gz: |
* Re: config files proposal
@ 2002-06-09 20:43  0%           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-06-09 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison) writes:

> Darren New <dnew@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I think they should be case sensitive unless there's a standard way of
> > converting uppercase unicode to lowercase unicode in Ada's libraries.
>
> We need to match up well with what's in the Ada standard I think.
>
> The Ada standard has an Ada.Strings.Maps.Constants.Lower_Case_Map and
> an Ada.Strings.Wide_Maps.Wide_Constants.Lower_Case_Map. There is no
> reason why we can't define things to say that keys will be fed through
> the appropriate Lower_Case_Map before being matched.

Good point.

> If the language itself has some kind of problem with
> Ada.Strings.Wide_Maps.Wide_Constants.Lower_Case_Map, I say that is
> the language's problem, and outside the scope of a configuration
> item facility to try to worry about fixing. As long as we define
> what we are doing carfully this way, it is still explicit. If we
> stick to using the standard library, things should at least behave
> for people the way they have come to expect them to behave when
> using Ada.

According to my interpretation of recent posts by Robert Dewar (is
that qualified enough :), there is very little use of Wide_String. So
it's not clear whether Lower_Case_Map is "what people expect". But I
agree it would be a good place to start.

Perhaps case sensitivity should be an option in the config file API.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: config files proposal
  @ 2002-06-04 19:55  7%         ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2002-06-04 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Darren New <dnew@san.rr.com> wrote in message news:<3CFB94A7.A455B8DD@san.rr.com>...
> I think they should be case sensitive unless there's a standard way of
> converting uppercase unicode to lowercase unicode in Ada's libraries.

We need to match up well with what's in the Ada standard I think.

The Ada standard has an Ada.Strings.Maps.Constants.Lower_Case_Map and
an Ada.Strings.Wide_Maps.Wide_Constants.Lower_Case_Map. There is no
reason why we can't define things to say that keys will be fed through
the appropriate Lower_Case_Map before being matched.

If the language itself has some kind of problem with
Ada.Strings.Wide_Maps.Wide_Constants.Lower_Case_Map, I say that is the
language's problem, and outside the scope of a configuration item
facility to try to worry about fixing. As long as we define what we
are doing carfully this way, it is still explicit. If we stick to
using the standard library, things should at least behave for people
the way they have come to expect them to behave when using Ada.

--
T.E.D.
Home     -  mailto:dennison@telepath.com (Yahoo: Ted_Dennison)
Homepage -  http://www.telepath.com/dennison/Ted/TED.html

Results 1-2 of 2 | reverse | options above
-- pct% links below jump to the message on this page, permalinks otherwise --