Search results ordered by [date|relevance]  view[summary|nested|Atom feed]
thread overview below | download mbox.gz: |
* Re: Intervention needed?
@ 2019-04-01 21:17  0%                         ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2019-04-01 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Florian Weimer" <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote in message
news:87zhpdgvhl.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de...
>* Randy Brukardt:
>
>>>"Florian Weimer" <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote in message
>>>* Randy Brukardt:

>>> The Rust standard library uses unsafe extensively in the
>>> implementation of containers.  I'm not sure if this is a problem.
>>> Most languages have this property (that the standard library cannot be
>>> implemented in the language itself).
>>>
>>> For container libraries, the only widely-used counter-example (of
>>> which I'm aware) is pre-generic Java.
>>
>> You're saying Ada isn't widely used? And I thought the STL was
>> implemented
>> in C++.
>
> The GNAT implementation doesn't seem particularly memory-safe to me,
> looking at Ada.Containers.Bounded_Ordered_Maps (which picked more or
> less at random).

You said "Most languages have this property (that the standard library
cannot be implemented in the language itself)." You didn't say anything
about memory safety -- and it wouldn't make sense anyway, since most
languages don't have "memory safety" (whatever that is) in the first place.

For Ada, the entire idea of the containers was to allow implementations to
have as much (or as little) memory safety as they want. There's none that an
implementation can provide with access types.

                               Randy.

* Re: Intervention needed?
  @ 2019-03-29 22:35  7%                       ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2019-03-29 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Randy Brukardt:

>>"Florian Weimer" <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote in message
>>* Randy Brukardt:
>>
>>> But a better question is whether the Rust borrow checker allows
>>> building proper ADTs for most data structures.
>>
>> The Rust standard library uses unsafe extensively in the
>> implementation of containers.  I'm not sure if this is a problem.
>> Most languages have this property (that the standard library cannot be
>> implemented in the language itself).
>>
>> For container libraries, the only widely-used counter-example (of
>> which I'm aware) is pre-generic Java.
>
> You're saying Ada isn't widely used? And I thought the STL was implemented
> in C++.

The GNAT implementation doesn't seem particularly memory-safe to me,
looking at Ada.Containers.Bounded_Ordered_Maps (which picked more or
less at random).

Results 1-2 of 2 | reverse | options above
-- pct% links below jump to the message on this page, permalinks otherwise --