From: Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: I have gnat 13.1.0 on my M1 Mac; I'd like to have my own Ada+GNAT *.ad[sb] library files, where are they?
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2023 14:49:08 -0700	[thread overview]

[...]
> But you say you know that. I wonder whether it's the crunched filenames
> that are confusing? (a legacy of the days when DOS 8.3 filenames were
> required for a large part of GNAT's target audience). You can find the
> crunched filename for a package using gnatkr (gnat krunch):
>
>    $ gnatkr ada.sequential_io.ads
[fixed typo]
>    a-sequio.ads
>
> (you don't actually need whatever's after the final period to be the
> actual file extension: you could use '.open' or just '.').

Which raises a question: Why does GNAT still use crunched filenames?  It
probably makes sense to continue to support them (does anyone use GNAT
on MS-DOS?), but I wouldn't think it would be difficult to use full file
names on the vast majority of systems that support them.  It's not a
huge deal, but using full file names where possible would be less
annoying.

Will write code for food.