From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: UNAS by TRW
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 22:24:59 +0200	[thread overview]

Chris Sparks <mrada442@gmail.com> writes:
> Does know how to get the complete UNAS package from TRW?  I use it at
> work and I see it has an open usage clause in the source headers.
> Since I am not allowed to download it from my work, maybe I can find a
> source elsewhere to get it?

Doubtful.

> Also are there any tutorials out there on how to use it?

"Out there", definitely not.  In a few closed places that still use
UNAS, perhaps but doubtful.  In the one place that I know still uses
UNAS, no.

> I am in the process of upgrading the Ada (83 to 05) in my current
> project and I am getting stuck on the plethora of call being made by
> UNAS for which I don't even know how to set it up so it can run
> happily.

Do I divine correctly that "your current project" is not "at work"?  If
so I would suggest you consider polyorb as a replacement(*).  UNAS is
long dead, unmaintained and unmaintainable, mostly because it is
proprietary software witout anyone getting a license for it other than
in their current application.  Also, apart from a couple of people I
know, nobody understands UNAS anymore.  The company that made it has
abandoned it, perhaps even gone bankrupt, so UNAS is mostly technical
debt.  Sorry for the bad "news".

(*) Modern multi-core computers with lots of memory might even make it
feasible to avoid distributing the software over multiple computers in
the first place.  Maybe a monolithic application would do the job just
fine, nowadays.

--
Ludovic Brenta.
Actually, the customers cautiously pre-prepare marketplace corporate values.