From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: OpenToken
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:40:30 +0200
Date: 2008-09-12T20:40:30+02:00	[thread overview]

Ted Dennison, the author of OpenToken, reappeared yesterday on the AWS
mailing list and I took the opportunity to send him an email which he
allowed me to reproduce here for the benefit of all interested.  The
conversation is below.

Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Hi Ted,
>
> Are you the author of OpenToken?  There has been a discussion on
> comp.lang.ada starting at [1] about adopting it for future
> maintenance.  As it turns out, Stephe Leake is willing to take it
> over.  I'd like to know if you were aware of this and of the fact
> that, over the years sicne you released 3.0b, several people sent you
> patches which you never acknowledged.  Do you approve of someone else
> taking over?
>
> [1] http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ada/msg/ef40447ce799fba1

Ted Dennison replied:
> I'm unaware of the talk. I am quite aware that I've been sent a few
> patches that I never had time to incorporate, and that it's not being
> actively developed. The birth of my second child pretty much killed all
> the free time I had to do such things. I now have a third, so the free
> time situation is even worse.
>
> I certainly approve, heartily, of anyone taking over development of it.
> The whole point of licensing it the way I did was so that such things
> could happen.
>
> One suggestion I would make to people would be to use a public source
> code repository. Among other things, that would make it much easier to
> distribute the burden of testing and incorporating patches. If I were
> starting such a project today, I'd definitely use Git for revision
> control. It works fine in Windows now, and Git makes forking around
> developers who get busy/lazy and drop out (such as myself) nearly
> trivial. I believe Savannah supports it, as do a few other lesser-known
> public hosting sites: http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitHosting.

and then in a second email:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> Thanks a lot.  Can I forward your reply to comp.lang.ada for the
>> benefit of all?
>
> Certainly.
>
>> The agreement is to use Ada-France's monotone server.  Monotone is
>> also distributed, like git, but simpler to use, and it is written with
>> the Ada attitude whereas C is written with the C attitude :)
>
> Interesting. I'll have to look into that.

I just imported OpenToken versions 2.0 and 3.0b into the Ada-France
database under the branch name "org.opentoken".  You can browse it at
http://www.ada-france.org:8081/branch/changes/org.opentoken

Stephe Leake, feel free to send me your monotone key so I can grant
you write permission on the database.

--
Ludovic Brenta.