From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: updating a hardware cursor with assembly and ada
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 21:16:02 +0100
Date: 2008-03-07T21:16:02+01:00	[thread overview]

cl1 writes:
> Okay I have updated the Update_Cursor method with the following
> implementation, However I am getting the error:
>
> i386-elf-gcc -fno-pic -c -nostdinc -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections
> -I. -gnato -gnatp -gnatE vga.adb
> vga.adb:3:06: "System.Machine_Code" is not a predefined library unit
>
> I know the error message means there is no System.Machine_Code that
> it can find. What i don't know is if there is a flag, or something i
> can do to get access to it. I'm really lost at this point, because
> there is no way i can implement that package with my current
> knowledge.

System.Machine_Code is normally part of the standard library.  Since
you don't have one, you have two possible solutions:

1) write your own minimalistic run-time library, consisting at least
   of System and System.Machine_Code (you can copy GNAT's library if
   you want to).  BTW, the compiler requires a package System that
   describes the target architecture.

2) Write procedure Update_Cursor directly in assembly language (as
   opposed to inline assembly in an Ada source file).

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.