From: Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com>
Subject: Re: Package reformatting tool availability
Date: 1999/09/03
Date: 1999-09-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <37CFFA58.FFC67480@res.raytheon.com>,
  Andy Askey <askeya@res.raytheon.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have several Ada legacy packages that contain multiple
types.  I
> prefer that each type is in its own package/file for my Ada95
> development effort.  Does anyone have (or know of) a script or
other
> tool that will turn a package with multiple types into
multiple packages
> with one type?

Actually this is FAR more than a simple script can do, and
indeed is not generally possible.

Certainly if you have completely unrelated types in a single
package with completely separate primitive operations, then
the package should be split, but this is not the normal case.
THe normal case is that you have multiple types in a single
package is that they are related, and for example, you have
operations that are primitive in more than one type.

Asking how to break such packages into separate pieces so that
there is only one type per package is like asking how to steer
a car with the special proviso that you are not allowed to touch
the steering wheel. The ability in Ada to have multiple types
per package is one of the powerful features of the language, and
it is quite difficult to do without if the program you are
working with takes advantage of this feature.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/