From: "Thomas Løcke" <tl@ada-dk.org>
Subject: Re: Introducing memcache-ada, a memcached client in Ada
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:25:58 +0100
Date: 2010-12-20T09:25:58+01:00	[thread overview]

On 2010-12-20 01:43, R Tyler Croy wrote:

> My first "real" project in Ada has been a memcached client written in Ada:
>                  <https://github.com/rtyler/memcache-ada>
>
> Right now it has basic functionality of being able to "get" a key, "set" a
> value, "delete" a value and increment/decrement values.
>
> There's still a few functions unimplemented, but I think it's in a usable state
> right now.
>
> I look forward to any comments or suggestions as to the code
> quality/structure.

Hey,

It looks pretty good to me.

I do though have four suggestions:

1. Declare all the string literals ("STORED", "NOT_FOUND" and such) as
constants in the specification.

2. Get rid of the ASCII.x and use Ada.Characters.Latin_1 instead. The
ASCII package is considered obsolescent. Oh, and perhaps declare the
ASCII.CR & ASCII.LF combo as a CRLF constant also?

3. Take a look at the various search subprograms in Ada.Strings.Fixed
and Ada.Strings.Unbounded. Some of them might be able to replace a loop
here or there.

4. Place your subprograms in alphabetical order. Actually, that might
just be me, but it hurts my eyes seeing Append_CRLF down there at the
bottom.  :D

I can't comment on the actual functionality of the program, as I've
never used memcached, but at a quick glance everything looks very neat
and tidy.

As far as I can tell from the repo, you've only been at this since early
November. If this is your first ever Ada project, then I'd say you're a
pretty damn fast learner! I'm only a little jealous.

--
Regards,
Thomas L�cke

Email: tl at ada-dk.org