From: Adrian-Ken Rueegsegger <ken@codelabs.ch>
Subject: Re: Basic question on Ada multi-dimensional arrays, are they true (contiguous) arrays? aliasing rules?
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 22:11:50 +0100
Date: 2011-12-21T22:11:50+01:00	[thread overview]

On 12/21/2011 02:08 AM, Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> Sorry for such a basic question on Ada, it has been a while since
> I used Ada (but it remains my most favorite computer language).

[snip]

> Are there are benchmarks comparing Ada for Fortran in this specific area?

This is just barely related but maybe it is still of interest to you: as
part of writing the CUDA/Ada binding [1] I did some benchmarking of
matrix operations (addition and multiplication) using the
Ada.Numerics.Real_Arrays package. I compared the native Ada
implementation ("*"-operator), doing the multiplication on the GPU using
the CUDA/Ada binding and a native CUDA C implementation.

We are in the middle of finishing up the article documenting CUDA/Ada
which will contain a section analyzing the performance measurements. The
main focus is on the potential performance penalty of CUDA/Ada vs native
CUDA C though so as mentionend in the beginning this is probably
tangential to your question...

Cheers,
Adrian
--