From: David Botton <david@botton.com>
Subject: Re: Trying to make XMLada use a validating SAX Parser
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 20:29:30 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2015-06-06T20:29:30-07:00	[thread overview]

> Sure:
> - GNAT GPL

Shareware (see shareware thread) - Damaging to Ada and community because of GPL encumbered runtime

> - AdaCore University

Not community oriented, but not a bad corporate move and is beneficial to Ada.

GAP program suffers same issues as GNAT GPL however.

> - GEMS
No longer in progress, but was same as any other corporate blog to use their product. Beneficial to the GNAT compiler specifically but not about community.

> - Contributing to FSF/GCC
Yes, it is the one saving grace that their some of their work is contributed back to the FSF with a proper license on the run time.

However statements on the AdaCore websites have implied there are potential IP violations to use it and the build tools needed are not sent to the FSF making it more and more complicated to make actual truly Free and in speech versions available. (gnatmake is now deprecated further complicating things). If there was a community "angle" to the FSF contributions there would be a complete upstream of the needed tools along with actual build releases. Doing your "duty" to contribute to the FSF is a discharge of obligations not a care for the Ada community.

BTW, AdaCore has never announced contributions to the FSF to the community nor encouraged the FSF versions development for community use (only stated - that the FSF version is sufficient for quality use by the public when asked). Even the GPL versions are not announced at community forums for years. Oh ya.. don't forget the fiasco of make believe that GPL can be passed through site downloads or checkouts from public repos...

> All this for free (as in free speech and in free beer).
Not true, the GPL on runtimes limits ones ability to speech. AdaCore is not helping the community by flooding it with runtimes and libraries that encumber and restrict peoples "speech" or ridiculous statements about the potential IP harm they could be in from using non-AdaCore compilers.

AdaCore should be acting as leaders and stewards for the community and Ada's proliferation as a general purpose language (especially now that they are the defacto monopoly in the business world for new projects) in addition to their niche markets.

Their company was built on contributions that were intended to encourage that direction not corporate control of a language with GPL virused runtime version distribution to make pretend there is a community "concern".

* Usual legal disclaimer and self protection - there is no legal violations by AdaCore to my knowledge, they have the legal right to remove the runtime exception clauses of the run-time causing them to be GPL virused and can restrict their direct contribution of code back to the FSF archives as they see fit.

> From there I think the community should be able to contribute good
> libraries, no?

Not possible

The community can not build on AdaCore's GPL encumbered libraries (tools yes but not libraries) if they want true free speech (outside the FSF versions) and Ada as a whole is harmed by license abuse of the GPL on runtimes.

My campaign has been and is to make as clear as possible the GPL runtime abuses and the harm they cause and to offer what solution we have now:

GetAdaNow.com - there is a true free version available with out GPL virused runtimes in the spirit of the FSF itself.

Ada logo contests, work towards a new LearnAdaNow.com site, I'm working on a revamp soon of AdaPower to allow for direct community control and public repo of available project, so that people should take serious that there is an Ada community.

I wish I had more time and money to put in, but doing what I can on my time and money budget.

> You're probably kidding or letting your current mood controlling your
> keyboard :)

I am not kidding and everyone here knows it. My words have been clear and consistent in every post concerning these issues.

I speak out because I afford to do so (many others can not) and because I care about having a language like Ada to express my "art" in. Ada ain't perfect but it's the best available.

Bottom line time has proven that AdaCore's releasing of GPL virused runtimes has harmed the overall community, reduce contributions of open source projects and in the eyes of non-AdaCore associates reduced its viability as a platform for long term contribution and development.

I have little interest in trying to change AdaCore's mind (that was never my intention from the start this time around, I gave that up 10 years ago), the humility needed to pursue business models beyond the current one is just not there and sadly so because the current model has hard limits. What I'm hoping for is enough people to wake to the issue to consider rallying around FSF-GNAT and a new Ada revival (before one is really needed from its death).

David Botton