From: dennison@telepath.com (Ted Dennison)
Subject: Re: Can alignment of tagged obj depend on size?
Date: 25 Jan 2002 06:11:43 -0800
Date: 2002-01-25T14:11:43+00:00	[thread overview]

puk @ umn._edu_ (Paul Pukite) wrote in message news:<3c50db2a.1393453@news.tc.umn.edu>...
> I understand why tagged types have unique properties
> with respect to data alignment. But I have trouble
> following why one particular compiler varies the alignment
> based on a component's size.

One might take a further step and ask why you care. In Ada, if you
care about such things, you use representation clauses to force the
issue. Otherwise, you are telling the compiler to store it any way it
wants. If you don't give any rep clauses and the compiler chooses some
bizzare (to you) alginment and ordering, that's its business.