From: tore@lis.pitt.edu (Tore Joergensen)
Subject: ada.sequential_io problem
Date: 14 Mar 1995 06:44:50 GMT
Date: 1995-03-14T06:44:50+00:00	[thread overview]

What is wrong???

I tried to define:
  package bio is new ada.sequential_io(unsigned_8);

Unsigned_8 is defined in the package interfaces as:
  type unsigned_8 is mod 2 ** 8;
  for unsigned_8'size use 8;

When I try to compile (gnat 2.03 for OS/2), I get:
  f:\EMX\GNATLIB\a-sequio.adb:33:59: actual for "Element_Type"
    must be a definite subtype

LRM 3.5.4 (10):
"... A modular_type_definition also defines a constrained first subtype
of the type with a range that is the same as the base range of the type."

LRM 3.3 (23):
"... A subtype is an indefinite subtype if it is an unconstrained array
subtype, or if it has unknown discriminants or unconstrained discriminants
without defaults (see 3.7); otherwise the subtype is a definite subtype
(all elementary subtypes are definite subtypes). ..."

I can't figure out what is wrong with my package-definition. I even tried
to make it with integer (the rationale (part2.II.11) says that integer is
a definite type)
   package bio is new ada.sequential_io(integer);
but I got the same error. Can the problem be that the sequential_io package
uses storage_io where the Element_type is defined as private, while the
sequential_io defines Element_type(<>) as private? If this is the problem,
doesn't that mean that sequential_io will never work?

Any help will be appreciated!

Tore B. Joergensen,    |    e-mail:     tore@lis.pitt.edu
a norwegian student    |    snail-mail: 2201 Pittockstr.
a long way from home.  |                Pittsburgh, 15217 PA