From: David Rasmussen <pinkfloydhomer@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Exceptions in GNAT
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 13:04:33 +0200
Date: 2002-06-02T13:04:33+02:00	[thread overview]

David Rasmussen wrote:
> I am learning Ada, and in one exercise I am told to find out how large
> and integer I can use on my system, before it overflows. The exercise
> just tells me to add two larger and larger numbers and see when an
> exception occurs. I have just compiled my program with gnatmake with no
> options, and I am using gcc 3.1 . When the numbers get large enough, the
> result is just a negative number because of wrap-around. Shouldn't I get
> an exception, unless I turn it off? How do I compile for with most
> checks for debug builds, and how do I compile with everything turned off
> for performance intensive release builds?
>
> /David

D'oh.... This is weird:

Enter two integers: 2100000000 0
The sum is 2100000000
david@amadeus-T23:~/src/Ada/Ex21$ ./sum
Enter two integers: 2200000000 0

raised ADA.IO_EXCEPTIONS.DATA_ERROR : a-tiinio.adb:91 instantiated at
a-inteio.ads:20
david@amadeus-T23:~/src/Ada/Ex21$ ./sum
Enter two integers: 2147483648 0

raised ADA.IO_EXCEPTIONS.DATA_ERROR : a-tiinio.adb:91 instantiated at
a-inteio.ads:20
david@amadeus-T23:~/src/Ada/Ex21$ ./sum
Enter two integers: 2147483647 0
The sum is 2147483647
david@amadeus-T23:~/src/Ada/Ex21$ ./sum
Enter two integers: 2147483647 1
The sum is-2147483648
david@amadeus-T23:~/src/Ada/Ex21$ ./sum
Enter two integers: 2147483647 2
The sum is-2147483647
david@amadeus-T23:~/src/Ada/Ex21$

Sometimes there's an exception, and sometimes there isn't... What's
happening??

/David