From: "Dr. Adrian Wrigley" <amtw@linuxchip.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: gnat for alpha linux
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:22:27 +0000
Date: 2002-01-30T18:22:27+00:00	[thread overview]

I built the Alpha Linux/x86 GNAT cross compiler over two years ago.

The sources (3.11p(?)) compiled with a few relatively simple modifications.
The compiled code would operate OK in very simple cases.  More complex
code would crash somewhere in the runtime (IIRC).

Unfortunately, I never investigated the crashes, because I left the company
which was wanting the work.

My current project would benefit by using a 64-bit architecture, since the
32-bit GNAT versions have issues with large records (>256MB), and my
Ada code is also hitting the memory limits on 32-bit.  If someone
does do a port, I'm interested to hear about it.

I would like to offer my help in the project, but I don't have any Alpha
hardware at the moment (because it doesn't support Ada...), and I am a
bit hazy on what the hacks were to get it to compile.
--
Dr Adrian Wrigley
Cambridge, England.