From: Tomas Hlavaty <hlavaty@labe.felk.cvut.cz>
Subject: Re: Client connected to two servers in Glade
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 15:49:52 +0100
Date: 2002-01-22T15:49:52+01:00	[thread overview]

> > > I would say yes. This is not a matter of boot location. With GLADE a
> > > distributed program is composed of many partitions. You can have many
> > > partitions acting as servers, a client can call RCI procedures on one
> > > or many of them. It is also possible to have many clients.
> >
> > But how the client find out what is the address of the second server?
> > What is the boot location then? Should be there one boot location for
> > both servers?
>
> But there is no "two servers", there is two RCI partitions to connect to. Each
> provides some differents services. When you use a RCI service the boot
> location will "redirect" you to the right partition on the right machine.
>
> I don't see a problem here, or maybe I missed something ?

Maybe, the problem lies in that I have two RCI partitions which are the
same, i.e. they provide the same services. So I can't write

Partition_A, Partition_B : Partition

for Partition_A'Host use "this.that.there"
for Partition_B'Host use "some.where.else"

procedure Server_A is in Partition_A;
procedure Server_B is in Partition_B;

as Frank suggests.

The situation is as follows:

+-------------+   +-------------+   +-------------+
+-------------+
| Machine_A1  |   | Machine_A2  |   | Machine_A3  |  ...  | Machine_An
|
| Partition_1 |   | Partition_1 |   | Partition_1 |       | Partition_1

+---------+---+   +---+-----+---+   +-------------+
+---+---------+
          |           |     |                                 |
          \-----+-----/     \-----+---------------------------/
                |                 |
         +------+------+   +------+------+
         | Machine_B1  |   | Machine_B2  |  ...
         | Partition_2 |   | Partition_2 |
         +-------------+   +-------------+

where Partition_1 is a program collecting data from somewhere (not
interesting) that is executed on Machine_Ai as a daemon. Partition_2 is
a program simultaneously displaying data collected by any two
Partitions_1. A user specify Machine_Aj and Machine_Ak dynamically when
he wants to execute a Partition_2 on Machine_Bl.

Isn't it to complicated? May be there is something wrong in the
structure of the distributed system. Should it be partitioned in a
different way?

Tomas

--
Tomas Hlavaty                       mailto:hlavaty@labe.felk.cvut.cz