From: Mark Johnson <mark_h_johnson@raytheon.com>
Subject: Re: Text_IO on WinNT  problem
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:14:43 -0500
Date: 2001-09-25T18:14:43-05:00	[thread overview]

Larry Kilgallen wrote:

> In article <9oqo67$8a21@news.cis.okstate.edu>, David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> writes:
>
> > As I pointed out, GNAT can't read in UTF-16LE using Wide_Text_IO.
>
> Why is that ?  (asked by somebody who does not know GNAT)

A quick look at the GNAT reference manual describes six different encoding schemes - none of which appear
to look like UTF-16LE. I don't have enough background to tell if one of the following matches UTF-16LE or
not.... After reading the description that goes with each one, my guess is not.

`h'
     Hex ESC encoding
`u'
     Upper half encoding
`s'
     Shift-JIS encoding
`e'
     EUC Encoding
`8'
     UTF-8 encoding
`b'
     Brackets encoding

I'll assume the original author may have already gone down that path.

Another idea - if UTF-16LE is a series of 16 bit values, you could read the file as a series of 16 bit
integers & convert it into something you can use the hard way.

Another alternative is to request the enhancement (assuming ACT support).
 --Mark