From: Wes Groleau <groleau+news@freeshell.org>
Subject: Re: Bye, bye?
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 23:30:53 -0500
Date: 2005-02-02T23:30:53-05:00	[thread overview]

Jeffrey Carter wrote:
> If you like perl, how can you possibly object to C++?

I didn't say I _like_ perl, I said it's not bad.

To tell the truth, the reasons for my objection to C++
(some of them) might apply to perl, too.  But I never
made the pronouncement about perl that I made about C++.
:-)

Actually, perl does have some safety features that C++
had to forego due to the baggage it inherited from C.

Sometimes, reading a perl book, I am surprised that it's
able to do something Ada-like (though not as pretty to
Ada-accustomed eyes).

Other times, I am amazed at how many versions of perl
have stubbornly refused to incorporate anything resembling
a case (switch) statement.  Though rumors are they're
giving in to that in version 6.

--
Wes Groleau

    After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
    all the way home in the back seat of the car.  His father asked him
    three times what was wrong.  Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
    said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
    stay with you guys."