From: Dave Jones <davedave@io.com>
Cc: davedave@io.com
Subject: Re: Book REview
Date: 1996/05/08
Date: 1996-05-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Last Friday I received several textbooks for review.
> One of them was
>
>         Ada 95 Problem Solving and Program Design
>     by  Michael B. Feldman
>    and  Elliot B. Koffman
>   ISBN  0-201-87009-6
>   pub.  Addison-Wesley
>   date  1996
><cut>
>
> The book is apparently being sold in an international market (I'm posting
> from Australia), but it appears to have been _written_ for the US market.<cut -- lots of complaints about American stuff>

Personally, I think that it is wise to make a textbook culturally specific.  The
use of culturally specific examples helps to hold student attention and makes for
a superior textbook.  Perhaps, Mr. O'Keefe should contact Addison-Wesley about
creating an Australian edition.  For that matter, I would think that the
Australians are perfectly capable of writing their own textbook.

Mr. O'Keefe also needs to realize the economics of the situation.  Australia has
a tiny population (about 18 million) and a trivial GDP (about US$340 billion).
It would be very very unwise for Addison-Wesley to risk a position in the US
market in order to increase their position in the Australian market.  I would not
expect there to be any changes in the book until people in larger countries start
complaining.

-- Dave Jones
davedave@io.com