From: "Theodore E. Dennison" <dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com>
Subject: Re: Ada95: The Real Job Market and College Life
Date: 1996/04/10
Date: 1996-04-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Kenneth Mays wrote:

> I know I cast my opinions a bit much, but today was another slap in
> the face. Two local colleges local colleges were teaching Ada courses
> so I thought I'd pop over there to see what books they were using.
> Not to bad mouth the colleges, but they were STILL using books
> written in 1993 - and the compilers weren't Ada95 compilers. So, here
> is a note.

Speaking as someone taking a college course using a 6-month old book,
I'm quite happy to hear this. Using a brand-spanking new book in a
course is about as much fun as using version 1.0 of a commercial
software release. Two to three years old sounds about right.

> What do the jobs expect from graduating students? Many jobs prefer
> you know Ada (if Ada95 then great, but Ada83 is still used by many
> companies). Just

As a (proud?) holder of a B.S. degree in computer science from a
CSAB-accredited program, I can tell you I am a TINY minority among
my co-workers. So apparently we don't even expect a CS degree from
a graduating student!

--
T.E.D.
                |  Work - mailto:dennison@escmail.orl.mmc.com  |