From: Greg Bond <bond@ee.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: How to print Task_ID type? (GNAT SunOS)
Date: 1996/04/04
Date: 1996-04-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar wrote:

> Greg asks
>
> "Can one of the Text_IO packages be used to print a Task_ID type (or any
> access Integer type for that matter...)? I'm using GNAT under SunOS
> which defines the Task_ID type in Ada.Task_Identification as private,
> but implements it as an Integer access type. If one of the Text_IO
> packages won't work, then what will?"
>
> Certainly not, private means private, neither you nor Text_IO can
> mess with a private type in another package. Well you culd use
> unchecked conversion after looking in the private part, but that
> would NOT be pleasant code.
>
> What do you really need to do here? Doesn't the Image function for
> Task_Id do what you want? That's what it's for!
>
>    function Image (T : Task_Id) return String;

Indeed it is. My oversight. This function does not handle the more
general problem I posed though. Is there a general facility for printing
access types? The GNAT implementation of the Image function above is a
system level (i.e. platform dependent) routine specifically for the
Task_ID type. The only Ada references I've got are Barnes for Ada 95 and
the ALRM, both of which are woefully inadequate on the topic of Ada I/O.

--
* Greg Bond                         * Dept. of Electrical Eng.
* email: bond@ee.ubc.ca             * Univ. of British Columbia