From: xanthian@well.com (Kent Paul Dolan)
Subject: Re: How To Write Unmaintainable Code
Date: 1999/11/22
Date: 1999-11-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

<pre>

In article <814jiq$d8l$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Ted Dennison  <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:
>There's a rather interesting website mentioned on /. today titled "How
>To Write Unmaintainable Code" ( http://mindprod.com/unmain.html ).

>My own suggestions:

>   56. - The people who orignially named all the objects and packages
>you use were morons. Rather than try to convice them to change, just use
>renames and subtypes to rename everything to names of your own devising.
>Make sure to leave a few references to the old names in, as a trap for
>the unwary.

Hmmmm.  On that renaming thingy.  I just finished reading a fairly
ancient paper on software architecture design practice that complained
about the tyranny of the fixed module and method names used in
implementing software when that software was reused in a field where
those names were no longer appropriate.  There may be more than one
valid viewpoint on the heavy use of renaming in Ada.

see:

</pre>

<em>Characteristics of Higher-level Languages for Software Architecture</em>,
<a
href="http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/able/www/paper_abstracts/salang-reqts-tr.html"
>abstract</a>, and
<a
href="http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/able/ftp/salang-reqts-tr.ps"
>postscript version</a>,
current software architecture design methodologies.

<pre>

cited in:

</pre>

>Vitruvius Publications</a>

<pre>

[Yeah, I know all this HTML crud is silly in a posting, and _way_ ugly,
but it does, in some newsreaders, make the above links "live", if I'm
lucky, and I tried to use the preformatted text tags to avoid the worst
of the braindamage; if this turns out to work poorly (I use a plain text
newsreader myself), someone warn me, and I won't bother to try any more.]

               ===== random archival quality quote =====

I  walked  away,  overcome  by the refusal or inability of this robot to
distinguish between the natural and the technological.
                       -- Mark Leyner:  My Cousin, My Gastroenterologist

--
Kent Paul Dolan.
<xanthian@well.com> <xanthian@aztec.asu.edu> <xanthian@whistle.com>

</pre>