From: deadlyhead <deadlyhead@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: determining input data type
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:53:54 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2008-10-17T23:53:54-07:00	[thread overview]

On Oct 17, 5:48 pm, jedivaughn <jedivaugh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, How is the best way to determine the type of input. I have the
> input coming in through a string but if the contents of the string is
> an integer then I want to convert it to such. This seems like it
> should be very easy to do but I can't seem to find out how to do it
> any where.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Exceptions are a wonderful thing:

--  file: int_test.adb
--  Tests to see if an input string is an integer

with Ada.Text_IO;   use Ada.Text_IO;
with Ada.Integer_Text_IO;  use Ada.Integer_Text_IO;

procedure Int_Test is

   My_Int : Integer;

begin

   Put("Give me some input, and I will tell you if it is an integer:
");
   Get(My_Int);

   Put(My_Int, 0);
   Put(" is an integer!");
   New_Line;

exception
   when Data_Error =>
      Put("That was not an integer!");
      New_Line;
end Int_Test;

Using Ada.Integer_Text_IO.Get does some work for you, though.  For
instance, if the user inputs 214yy0, it puts 214 in My_Int and
continues on its way.  This may not be what you want, thus some actual
text processing may be in order.

-- deadlyhead