From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: Various Language Architecture Questions
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:53:55 +0200
Date: 2005-09-25T10:53:53+02:00	[thread overview]

On 24 Sep 2005 19:37:12 -0700, frankgerlach@gmail.com wrote:

> Is is possible to safely allocate objects on the stack and then pass a
> pointer to these objects to a procedure ?

Why should you? Ideally in a high-level language there should be no
pointers but objects. The way objects are passed should be up to the
compiler.

> (The stack is very fast, but I cannot tolerate invalid references from
> the heap or from "older" stack regions)
> Are the common Ada runtimes performing range checks on Arrays,
> including "casted" pointers ?
> (Typecasting is necessary for high-performance access,

This is a wrong proposition. You don't need type casting to achieve the
best possible performance. Otherwise, a need in type casting just indicates
weakness of the type system.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov