From: sparre@meyer.fys.ku.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen)
Subject: Re: New ada user
Date: 1997/05/11
Date: 1997-05-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

od (cnam05@univ-pau.fr) wrote:
| HI!I am a new ada user. I would like to create a database with
| customers adresses, etc... but i really don't know how to manage and
| above all how to start : create records, use them, search for one
| information, etc... Any help is welcome. Thanks

It sounds like you should use the package Ada.Direct_IO, if you plan to map
the database tables to a file.

It's probably a good idea to have a used/not used flag in your record. It
could be done in this way:

   type File_Record (In_Use : Boolean := False) is
      record
         case In_Use is
            when True =>
               Name    : Name_Type;
               Address : Address_Type;
            when False =>
               null;
         end case;
      end record;

Then you overwrite a record with a File_Record'(In_Use => False) to delete
it.
When you want to insert a new record, you can first look for records, where
In_Use is False, otherwise you'll have to write the new record at the end
of the file.

Greetings,

Jacob
--
Jacob Sparre Andersen                            http://www.nbi.dk/%7Esparre/
Center for Chaos and Turbulence Studies          Phone: (+45) 39 65 53 51