From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Subject: Re: GNAT: Handling of textfile end-of-page
Date: 1997/06/19
Date: 1997-06-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 18 Jun 1997 17:40:16 +0200, Jakob Heinemann
<Jakob.Heinemann@ericsson.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>

> I'm running GNAT 3.09 (gcc 2.72) on a Sun Solaris 2.5.
> I have trouble detecting special characters in a textfile
> that I read.
>
> In the source text file that I read, pages are separated
> with FF (FormFeed) characters, you know ASCII 12. =
>

> In the files the FF-character can appear at any place on =
>
> a line. The Ada.text_io-package can only detect new-page
> as a combination of <new-line><ff> which is not satisfactory
> for me. None of the ways I've tried, reading single characters
> from the file, will return a FF-character. =
>

> The opposite is on the other hand possible. I can write to
> text files using ada.text_io.put(character'val(12)) and
> it will appear on the outfile anywhere on a line, but then =
>
> I can't read it back and detect the FF. =
>

> If anyone can help me with this problem I'll be very happy!
>
> Please help me! =
>

>   /Jakob :)
>
> PS: Please also make a direct reply to my e-mail! =
>

> mailto:Jakob.Heinemann@ericsson.com
> Ericsson Saab Avionics AB Link=F6ping
> +46 13 284249

Try instantiating Sequential_Io for type Character:

  package Character_Io is new Ada.Sequential_Io (Character);

and reading the file with this. You should be able to read the FF
characters OK.

Jeff Carter  PGP:1024/440FBE21
My real e-mail address: ( carter @ innocon . com )
"Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time."
Monty Python & the Holy Grail

Posted with Spam Hater - see
http://www.compulink.co.uk/~net-services/spam/