From: Warren <ve3wwg@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: How to supply O/S linker arguments with gprbuild?
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 14:27:41 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Monday, 22 June 2020 17:16:50 UTC-4, Dmitry A. Kazakov  wrote:
> On 22/06/2020 22:43, Simon Wright wrote:
> > "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de> writes:
> >
> >> Another idea to consider would be to ditch makefiles. gprbuild does
> >> everything makefiles do and better and more.
> >
> > Almost everything! except determining which OS you're running under, or
> > building project documentation, or ...
>
> Are you sure that make has OS macro defined? [It would be great to have
> host OS/architecture + target OS/architecture attributes in gpr. I do
> not understand why gpruild still does not have them.]
>
> Isn't there the package Documentation in grpbuild? [I must admit I never
> used it because I believe documentation must be written, not built.]
>
> If you rather mean project cross reference GPS does the job to me.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

I don't need the OS defined in make. All I need is agree on a few conventions such as PREFIX and define some easily customized macros at the top of the Make file.

Even knowing that your OS is Linux, doesn't really help. While there are the usual standard places for libraries, there is no guarantee that you'll be linking with those directories. On an older CentOS for example, the newer updates are often installed in custom places like /opt because the older libraries must be maintained for the rest of the system. Shared libraries can be quite the nightmare with the inter-dependencies and versions (same deal as the Windows DLL hell).