From: Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com>
Subject: Very basic question: How to use gnatmake (not gprbuild) using external libraries?
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 16:44:07 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

Hi;

  Very basic question here.

  I have downloaded several examples of Ada code from the Rosetta Code web site.  Some very interesting stuff!

  I'm on a Mac with an M1 chip using the gnat 13.1 compiler from Simon Wright...

  I see many of these Rsoetta Code examples refer to external libraries (SDL, XML, GTK, etc).  I have found most under ALIRE.  I have found most of them in GitHub (etc).

  I'm not using ALR much yet because I can't seem to successfully get full crates because I'm using an external gnat compiler (I'm on a Mac with a M1 chip) and it seems to only like crates bundled with the compiler on ALR :-( That is a question for a different post...

  So, my questions are:
  1. Where do I place the SDL library from GitHub?
  2. Do I compile/install the package?
  3. When using gnatmake do I use -I to specify where the library I'm referencing is found?
  4. Once #3 is answered, I assume that I "with package" as if the '*.ad[sb]' files were co-located with my Ada program, is that correct?

Thanks,
Ken Wolcott